Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Shared passion

I'm not sure I let anyone know this but my Nana (Daddy's mom) passed away earlier this year from cancer. this was the one who had Alzheimer's. She spent years and years and years working on our family tree. She wrote to people all over about info and traveled to MANY states to dig up info.

When she passed away and my dad went through all of her stuff and asked everyone what they wanted that only thing I told him was that I wanted any and all genealogy info they came across. Well I got it all in the mail yesterday. I am beyond excited. It appears that all the info I have uncovered is in fact correct and she had info on those same people I did not have. She also has MUCH more info that I was able to uncover. I can NOT believe how much info she was able to collect including causes of death, occupations, little notes about peoples lives. The only thing I am lacking so far are pictures which I plan to remedy next summer when we go down on vacation. Oh and I always thought there was native American on my dad's side but had yet to discover any but she did if what I am seeing is correct. Apparently we have a Cherokee ancestor who lived here in NC on the reservation. So I plan to take that info over there soon and see what else I can dig up. There isn't much NA blood but the genes tend to run strong which would account for the features and hair. LOL There is also the HUGE amount of Scottish and french on that side of the family. we all assumed for years it was mostly Irish blood but not so, it is Scottish.

Bobby said last night it is a shame i didn't get into all this when we lived down there and she had a sound mind. we would have been a dangerous pair LOL. At least now he understand where I get this passion from. It was passed on and shared with my beloved Nana. I can't help but think as I enter that data into my gen program that she is looking down smiling on me. :)

No comments: