I had Lance's conference with his teacher yesterday and I walk out of it about 2 feet off the ground beaming. She's wonderful and the best possible teacher for him. I have known for years he is ADHD at least mildly. I've had teachers agree and disagree. I have not had him tested for several reasons.
Last years teacher could not deal with the noises and constant movement of him. He has always had behavior issues in class. And he has always preferred for have his desk away from the other kids because being in a group is just too distracting for him. That is entirely HIS choice. This years teacher was very impressed with him when he asked her. When I talked to her yesterday she was under the impression he had already been diagnosed. LOL You see her middle son about Lance's age is VERY ADHD. So she has a TON of experience with it. She said she absolutely sees it in Lance. She agrees that there are benefits and downfalls to having a child diagnosed. In Lance's case she feels like the downfalls are not worth it. She knows how to work around it for his benefit. She actually allows him to stand up at his desk to do his work when he wants to. He does this at home with his home work and sometimes even at meals. Sometimes it's just too much for him to stay seated and still. She has actually even asked him if he wants to stand when she sees him getting work up. LOL she's amazing.
This is the FIRST year I have had a teacher tell me "He's a well behaved child and delightful to have in class" I almost fell out of my chair LOL He's doing very well academically as well. She told me he is an amazingly bright child and has a gift for writing. She let me read one of his creative writing stories and I could not quit smiling as I read it. It was amazing. She said she has rarely if ever in 15 years of teaching seen a child write on this level. He has an amazing imagination and a gift for story telling and knows how to articulate on paper. She also was telling me his little brain is an encyclopedia of facts. Some times strange and obscure facts. They will be discussing something and he'll raise his hand and proceed to tell some crazy fact about the topic that no normal child his age and even most adults would not know. she'll check out what he's told her to find that it is absolutely true and be dumb founded. She says sometimes she feels like he's teaching her ROTFLMBO
I couldn't stop telling him last night how very proud I am of him. He just kept beaming at me. LOL I love that little guy so much. even with all the issues with have had with him and still have. He's is my amazing little man and he now has an amazing teacher that sees what I see in him and is willing to work with him and make learning easier for him. I think be the end of this school year he is going to be so much further ahead because of her. He has already advanced FIVE levels in reading since the start of the year. I am going to request Cheyanne be put in her class next year.
Thank God for amazing teachers. There seem to be so few of them these days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amen sister! You almost described Lanie to a tee! A good teacher has made such a difference in her world this year too. It is neat to see your pride beaming for him! ((HUGS)) and love to you!
How great for Lance!! I know what a relief it must be and proud you are :o). Congrats to both of you!
Post a Comment