Monday, January 14, 2008

LEGALLY BLIND

Yep that is me. I've been saying it for over a year now but to hear it's true is a little depressing. but I have a new script and a new pair of disposable contacts in my head and I haven't seen this good in YEARS. I have a pair of daily wear on order along with a new pair of really cute specks coming.

Now what I am most upset over is CHEY'S EYES. :( She definitely has a problem and has had since birth and I feel like a total crappy mommy for not knowing it some how. as soon as the doc put her up to the scope to measure her eyes she told me there was a problem. Chey has ambliopia in her right eye. that basically means the brain is no long sending proper signals to that eye. she is legally blind in that eye and could only see that HUGE "E" at the top of the eye chart out of that eye. her vision in the left eye is almost perfect. That also means she has no depth perception at all. Even with a great glasses script she will only have 20/70 vision in that eye. she has to wear them at all times unless she is sleeping or bathing. she goes back in a month to see if there is improvement. if there is not then they are going to start patching her good eye for at least 3 hours a day to force the bad eye to work and force the brain to start sending messages to it again. that will not be pleasant or fun for any of us. :( So if you pray could you please say a few that just wearing the glasses will dot he trick. The Doc said that there was no way for us to know because she has none of the classic symptoms like "lazy" eye or head aches or problems Reading etc. But I still some how think I should have known. then there are all of the vision screenings she's had since pre-k. not one till this last one in Nov showed a problem at all.

Chey picked out a very cute pair of glasses and she really likes them. She gets them sometime late this week. she's really excited to get them too. I just hope none of the kids in her class tease her about them. The child reads so very good and I can't help but think that once she gets these she will read more and become an insanely great reader very quickly. I also think her hand writing will be so much better. write now it's just very big and I think it's because she had trouble reading it as she wrote it.

$500 late and her eyes and mine are set. Thank GOD for flex spend. Based on what I heard from Lance during her exam I think his eye sight is fine. he has his appt on sat along with BL. I think she'll need glasses but we'll see.

On the up side the doc told me I should look into lasix for me because they are now doing it on some far sighted people. so who knows. maybe next year I can do that. If not then I am going to do the disposables next year when we have more $ they are so much more comfy than daily wears. it's so nice to see again.

so there is the big update for now. *sigh* never a dull moment.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I'd be shocked if the kids tease her. Hannah has never had a negative comment about her glasses and in fact more often than not people gush over how cute she is in her glasses.
I hope the glasses do the trick for her!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

J : poor Chey but dont worry, eyes have a way of working themselves out! Don't feel bad...noone has picked it up. I reckon she'll look gr8 in glasses!
Miss ya!!

Chez

Janet O. said...

That is the EXACT SAME thing that Bubba has with his eyes. He is patching 2 hours a day and his vision has improved dramatically. I didn't know either. Don't beat yourself up. She'll be fine.

sonflowergurl said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! We didn't know Nick was having eye problems until they used an eye chart on the power point at church one Sunday about a year ago! Then it took us a few months to get the insurance straight to get him in. Boy's lost his glasses and I have to buy him some new ones next week!!!

Keep us updated on how she's doing! I bet she'll look so cute! Elisabeth's embarassed to wear her glasses, but only needs them if reading starts to strain her eyes. I would've killed to have had glasses as a kid! (I still don't have them, but haven't had my eyes checked since college either!)