Saturday, January 5, 2008

Tis the Season.......

To recycle, and reorganize!!!! I spent most of the day today working in my studio that has become a total night mare and dumping ground over my prolonged illnesses and holiday season. I wasn't altogether sure where the heck to start. you know you have a problem when you are unsure what exactly the color of the carpet is. But I jumped in with both feet and am happy to report that the carpet is in fact a medium blue/grey (or is that spelled Gray) berber. after 5 straight long hours I am not done. close but no cigar. I will be back at it tomorrow after church. I'm down to getting my desks cleaned and organized. My sewing desk is almost there but my scrapping desk not so much.

Now that being said I must admit that an hour of that time was getting all of my Xmas cards from this year put into an envelope so I can recycle them during the course of this year into various things like ornaments, small gift boxes, tags, baskets and for use on gift bags. I just can't bare to throw them away. they are so pretty and people spent their hard earned money on them and time I need to make Good use of that.

I also got all of my tissue paper ironed and folded and put away as well as my wrapping paper and bows and ribbon and gift bags. And just to clarify for those of you wondering and hoping you are not right yes I DO save tissue paper, gift bags still in good condition, and select wrapping paper and bows and ribbons too. but before you cringe to terribly in horror I have to tell you I'm not like my great grandmother from the great depression and save every single piece of wrapping paper and every bow. only the good stuff ROTF. My step mom loves to buy that shiny kind of plastic or foil gift wrap. the tape easily comes off of it and it doesn't really rip (well the foil stuff does but not the plastic) I gently fold it up for use next year. she also buys the pretty wire edged fabric ribbon and I love to keep that to decorate with or make wreaths with (I made 2 stunning ones this year from last years ribbon) she also buys the fancier bows and I put them in a nice box to keep them from getting all smooshed and yucky. I know I'm a nut and my daughter called me a cheap hippy today. LOL but I can't help it with all I was able to save today I managed to keep one more big black trash bag out of the land fill and saved my self a nice little sum of money next year and enabled my self to make certain things a little nice. like my banana bread and zucchini bread I make for the holidays. instead of just being wrapped in plastic wrap with a cheesy cheap bow I will be able to wrap them in the foil or plastic gift wrap on top of the plastic wrap, which will not only look very nice but also help to keep it more fresh. I won't have to buy a lick of tissue paper all year this year either. I don't see my self as a hippy nut case but more of a good steward for the Lord. after all he entrusted this earth to us to take care of (which we have done a seriously poor job of) and it is my duty to do my part in keeping this earth clean. and saving money may just enable me to be able to give more to those in need through out the year or help us into our own home with little or no mortgage so we can do more to give to those who need it.

If any of ya'll ladies out there would like to recycle your Xmas cards and want some links for some great ideas let me know and I'll add them in some time soon.

No comments: